• If you`re planning on carrying out building work on a property that shares a wall with a neighbouring property, you will need to ensure that you have a party wall agreement in place. This is a legal document that sets out the rights and responsibilities of both parties involved in the building project.

    Typically, a party wall agreement involves the appointment of a surveyor who will assess the work to be carried out, prepare a schedule of condition and ensure that all necessary steps are taken to protect both properties during the construction process.

    However, it is possible to avoid the need for a surveyor and to agree on the terms of the party wall agreement directly with your neighbour. This can save time and money, but it is important to proceed with caution to ensure that you are fully protected.

    The first step in reaching a party wall agreement without a surveyor is to identify the works that you are planning to carry out. This should be done as early as possible so that you can provide your neighbour with as much information as possible.

    You should then write to your neighbour outlining the proposed works and asking them to consent to the party wall agreement. You should also provide them with a copy of the relevant sections of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996, which sets out the legal requirements for party wall agreements.

    Your neighbour will then have 14 days to respond to your request. If they do not respond, you can assume that they have consented to the works. If they do respond, you will need to negotiate the terms of the agreement.

    It is important to ensure that the agreement covers all aspects of the work, including access to the neighbouring property, the condition of the wall before and after the works, and the provision of insurance to cover any damage that may occur.

    Once you have agreed on the terms of the party wall agreement, it should be put in writing and signed by both parties. It is advisable to have a witness present when the agreement is signed.

    While it is possible to reach a party wall agreement without a surveyor, it is recommended that you seek legal advice before proceeding. A solicitor or specialist party wall surveyor can provide valuable guidance and ensure that you are fully protected throughout the process.

    In summary, a party wall agreement without a surveyor is possible, but it requires careful negotiation and attention to detail. By following the legal requirements and seeking professional advice where necessary, you can ensure that your building project proceeds smoothly and without any legal complications.